This cemetery was begun in 1909 by the purchase of 17 acres. It was then known as The Colored Peoples Cemetery. Today burials are allowed and the grounds are maintained by volunteers, county workers, and a spirited civic group.
Notable burials here at rest include a common grave with many persons who died in the Rhythm Club Fire. A new memorial gives tribute to this tragedy.